Basic Facts On Poison Ivy

One of the most popular, and most common, allergic reactions in the world is a condition known as poison ivy. Although some people are immune to it’s symptoms, most people experience an allergic reaction when coming into contact with it. These reactions can be relatively mild or very severe. It might be worth your time to look at some basic information.

Poison ivy is one type of plant in the species of Sumachs. This poisonous plant is most widely known for its production of urushiol and the symptoms that it provokes. Urushiol is a clear liquid that is found within the plant that causes itchy rashes in the majority of people that are unfortunate enough to come into physical contact with it.

This plant is widely distributed throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. It typically grows in three distinct forms. It can take the form of a trailing vine, a small bush, or a climbing vine that grows up trees or other types of vertical objects. There are many plants that appear similar to this one, often making it hard to effectively identify.

Many people experience the symptoms of the allergic reaction, often many times over the course of their lives. You will find that many people are simply immune to it, experiencing no ill reactions at all. Most people, however, are allergic too it. After contact, the skin will soon become red and inflamed. The epidermis will then become very itchy and dry, and blisters usually occur soon after. In severe cases, those blisters can bust. Less common symptoms are fever, swelling, difficulty breathing and dizziness.

Poison ivy allergies are some of the most common in the entire world. It is extremely difficult to identify it, and very easy to catch. The only definite way of preventing it is to avoid the plant. If you plan on being outdoors, become familiar with pictures of it in hopes that you can spot it and avoid it. If you think you may have been exposed, remove all relevant clothing and wash in hot water. Also, take a shower and wash the body well. Consider wearing long pants and shirts if you can.

The symptoms will recede in time, often needing no treatment at all. Usually, however, people seek relief from the itching. This can be accomplished through wet compresses or by soaking the area in cool water. Many keep lotions and antihistamine pills on hand. Remember that it’s important that you try not to scratch and irritate the blisters.

It should come as no surprise that most people are familiar with poison ivy. Many people have either developed the problem themselves or have known someone who has. It can be a chronic issue with people who live near woods or spend time outdoors. Although it is easy to catch and hard to avoid, the symptoms are usually mild and will recede in a short while.

We have some good poison ivy remedies. Are you looking for a cure for poison ivy? We know how harsh it can be and we are here to help you out.

Comments are closed.